Welding; Characterisation, Automation and Optimization of Manufacturing Processes; Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing; Functionally Graded Materials.
- Dr. Satish Kumar Sharma is an assistant professor in the department of Mechanical Engineering at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (TIET) Patiala. Having obtained his PhD in Welding in 2018, he began to look into the economic viability of Welding Process for Additive Manufacturing. Dr. Sharma is an active researcher in the area of Welding Science and Technology with its new horizons of application i.e. Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing (WAAM), development of Functionally Graded Materials (FGM), Graphene reinforced metal-matrix composite (Gr-MMC). He is also the incharge of Additive Manufacturing and Advanced Measurement Laboratories. Dr. Sharma has published many academic and research publications in the area of welding and its application areas (like WAAM and FGM) in reputed journals, international conferences and book chapters. Dr. Sharma is also serving as a referee to several international journals and conferences. Moreover, he is supervising the research work of many Masters as well as Doctoral students in the area of manufacturing.
- Ph.D. in Manufacturing Processes & Automation Engineering
- M. Tech. in Manufacturing Systems
- B. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering
Teaching and Work Experience
- Oct 2018 – Present: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
- August 2017–Sept 2018: Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar University, Patiala, Punjab.
- Feb 2017 – July 2017: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Panipat Institute of Engg & Tech, Panipat.
- Mar 2013 – Jan 2017: Teaching cum Research Fellow, Division of MPAE, NSIT New Delhi (University of Delhi).
- Sept 2011 – Feb 2013: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Panipat Institute of Engg & Tech, Panipat.
Courses of Interest
- Non-Conventional and Conventional Manufacturing Processes
- Machining Science
- Manufacturing Technology
- Computer Aided Manufacturing & Automation
- Mechanical Engineering Materials
- Industrial Metallurgy
- Rapid and Additive Manufacturing
- Welding & Joining Science and Technology
- Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing
- Development of Functionally Graded Material via Welding
- Graphene reinforced metal-matrix composite (Gr-MMC)
- Non-Conventional and Conventional Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Automation
- Process Characterization & Optimization
Year of Funding
Title of Project
Hydrogen Embrittlement Study of Welded Joints of High Strength Steels
Dr. Satish Kr. Sharma
Fabrication of Graphene reinforced metal-matrix composite (Gr-MMC)
Dr. Satish Kr. Sharma &
Prof. Ajay Batish
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Membership#103344785) since 2021.
- Institution of Engineers India (IEI) (Member Number: M-1526590) since 2016.
- Society of Failure Analysis (SFA) (Member Number: FLM-SFA-0574) since 2015.
- Indian Institute of Welding (IIW) (Member Number: DEL/M/R-11450/L) since 2014.
Publications and other Research Outputs
SCI & SCOPUS: 17; Other Journals: 06; Book Chapters: 06; Conference Papers: 10
Journal Papers: SCI/SCIE/SCOPUS (in chronological order)
- Parveen Kumar, Ratnesh Kumar Raj Singh, Satish Kumar Sharma, Effect of welding parameters on bead characteristics and mechanical properties of wire and arc additive manufactured Inconel 718, iMeche Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science (Sage), (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 1.76). 2022. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406222113303.
- Parveen Kumar, Satish Kumar Sharma, Ratnesh Kumar Raj Singh, Recent Trends and Future Outlooks in Manufacturing Methods and Applications of FGM: A Comprehensive Review, Materials and Manufacturing Processes (Taylor & Francis), 2022. (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 4.616). https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2022.2075892.
- Nav Rattan, Rahul S. Mulik, Aakanksha J Kaushik, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Multi-objective optimization of TW-ECSM process parameters for machining of advanced non-conducting material” Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences (IJEMS), 2021. (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 0.881)
- Gyander Ghangas, Vikas Goyat, Sachin Sirohi, Satish Kumar Sharma, Sunil Dhull, Investigation for mechanical properties of dissimilar friction stir welded joints of AA5083 and pure Cu, Materials Today: Proceedings (Elsevier), 2021, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.12.163) (Scopus indexed)
- Sagar Singh, Satish Kumar Sharma, Dinesh W. Rathod, “A review on process planning strategies and challenges of WAAM”. Materials Today: Proceedings (Elsevier), 2021, In press (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.02.632) (Scopus indexed)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, “Investigation of CGHAZ during single and multi-pass submerged arc welding of high strength steel”, proceeding of ASME 2020 Pressure Vessels & Piping, 2020. PVP2020-21833, (https://doi.org/10.1115/PVP2020-21833). (Scopus indexed)
- Ratnesh Kumar Raj Singh, Rajesh Prasad, Sunil Pandey, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Effect of Cooling Environment and Welding Speed on Fatigue Properties of Friction Stir Welded Al-Mg-Cr Alloy”, International Journal of Fatigue, 127 (2019) 551-563, (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2019.06.043), (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 5.186)
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, Ratnesh Kumar Raj Singh “Modeling and optimization of HAZ characteristics for submerged arc welded high strength pipeline steel", Transactions of The Indian Institute of Metals (Springer), 72 (2019) 439–454. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-018-1495-5). (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 1.499)
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, Ratnesh Kumar Raj Singh “Effect of heat-input and cooling-time on bead characteristics in SAW" Materials and Manufacturing Processes (Taylor & Francis), (https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2018.1532578). 34 (2019) (2) 208-215, (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 4.616)
- Himanshu Payal, Sachin Maheshwari, Pushpendra S Bharti, Satish Kumar Sharma, Multi-objective optimisation of electrical discharge machining for Inconel 825 using Taguchi-fuzzy approach, International Journal of Information Technology (Springer). 11 (2019) 97–105. ISSN: 2511-2112 (doi.org/10.1007/s41870-018-0102-7). (Scopus indexed)
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, Arc characterization study for submerged arc welding of HSLA (API X80) steel, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, (Springer), Volume 31, Issue 3, Pages 1383-1390, 2017. ISSN:1976-3824. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-017-0238-6). (SCI & Scopus indexed, IF 1.734)
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, A review on welding of high strength oil and gas pipeline steels, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, (Elsevier), Volume 38, Pages 203-217, 2017. ISSN:1875-5100. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2016.12.039). (SCI & Scopus indexed, 4.965)
- Sandeep Rathee, Sachin Maheshwari, A.N. Siddiquee and Manu Srivastava, Satish Kumar Sharma, Process parameters optimization for enhanced microhardness of AA 6063/ SiC surface composites fabricated via Friction Stir Processing (FSP). Materials Today: Proceedings (Elsevier), Volume 3, Issue 10, Part B, 2016, Pages 4151–4156. ISSN: 2214-7853. (Scopus indexed)
- Manu Srivastava, Sachin Maheshwari,T.K. Kundra, Sandeep Rathee, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Virtual Design, Modelling and Analysis of Functionally graded materials by Fused Deposition Modeling", Materials Today: Proceedings (Elsevier), Volume 3, Issue 10, Part B, Pages 3660-3665, 2016. ISSN: 2214-7853. (Scopus indexed).
- Brijpal Singh, Satish Kumar Sharma, Z.A. Khan, Arshad N. Siddiquee, Sachin Maheshwari “Effect of flux composition on tensile strength and percentage elongation of welds, Archive of Mechanical Engineering, (De-Gruyter), Vol. 63, issue 3, pages 337-354, 2016, (DOI:10.1515/meceng-2016-0019). ISSN: 2300-1895. (Scopus indexed)
- Aditya Kumar, Sachin Maheshwari and Satish Kumar Sharma “Fuzzy logic optimization of weld properties for saw using silica based agglomerated flux", Procedia Computer Science (Elsevier), Vol. 57, pp. 1140-1148, 2015. ISSN: 1877-0509. (Scopus indexed)
- Aditya Kumar, Sachin Maheshwari and Satish Kumar Sharma “Optimization of vickers hardness and impact strength of silica based fluxes for submerged arc welding by Taguchi method" Materials Today: Proceedings, (Elsevier), Vol. 2, Issue 4-5, pp. 1092-1101, 2015. ISSN: 2214-7853. (Scopus indexed)
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “Multi-objective optimization of HAZ characteristics for submerged arc welding of micro-alloyed high-strength pipeline steel using GRA-PCA approach" Journal for Manufacturing Science & Production, (De-Gruyter), Volume 16, Issue 4, Pages 263–271, (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/jmsp-2016-0027), 2016. ISSN 2191-0375. (Emerging source citation index) (UGC approved)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, Sandeep Rathee “Multi-objective optimization of bead geometry for submerged arc welding of API X80 pipeline steel using RSM-fuzzy approach", Journal for Manufacturing Science and Production, (De-Gruyter), Volume 16, Issue 3, Pages 141–151 (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/jmsp-2016-0009), 2016. ISSN 2191-0375. (Emerging source citation index), (UGC approved)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Rahul Dev Gupta, Anish Kumar and Bhim Singh “Supplier issues for lean implementation", International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol.3, pp. 3900-3905, 2011. ISSN: 0975–5462.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “Effect of submerged arc welding process parameters on weld cooling time ", Journal of Production Engineering, Volume 19, Issue 2, Pages 38-42, 2016. ISSN: 1821-4932.
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Manoj Kumar Khanna and Sachin Maheshwari “Development and characterization of real time metal transfer recording facility for submerged arc welding" International Journal of Research in Mechanical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 5, Issue 1, 2015. ISSN: 2249–5762.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sunil Dhull “Lean and relationship management", International Journal of Research in Engineering & Applied Sciences, Vol. 2, issue 2, pp. 1423-1430, 2012. ISSN: 2249-3905.
Book Chapter Publications
- Gagan Garg, Bhaskar Thakur and Satish Kumar Sharma, “Characterization and optimization of machining parameters for high strength steel” In: Goyat Vikas (eds) Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (Springer), 2021.
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Dinesh W Rathod, Himanshu Payal and Sachin Maheshwari, “Investigation of weld bead shape parameters in relation to heat input during submerged arc welding”. In: Sharma V., Dixit U., Sørby K., Bhardwaj A., Trehan R. (eds) Manufacturing Engineering. Lecture Notes on Multidisciplinary Industrial Engineering. Springer (2020). (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4619-8_25)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, Satish Kumar Sharma and Sunil Pandey, “Hot cracking susceptibility: an effect of solidification modes of SS consumables during bimetallic welds”. In: Tyagi M., Sachdeva A., Sharma V. (eds) Optimization Methods in Engineering. Lecture Notes on Multidisciplinary Industrial Engineering. Springer (2021). (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-4550-4_34)
- Jitender Kundu, Nav Rattan Kaushik, Gyander Ghangas and Satish Kumar Sharma, “Experimental investigation of mechanical strength and temperature of friction stir welded joint” In: Prasad A., Gupta S., Tyagi R. (eds) Advances in Engineering Design. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (Springer), 2019, pp 631-639. (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6469-3_58)
- Himanshu Payal, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Study of MRR and TWR in electric discharge machining of AISI D2 tool steel” In: Shanker K., Shankar R., Sindhwani R. (eds) Advances in Industrial and Production Engineering. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (Springer), 2019, pp 85-92. (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-6412-9_8)
- Sunil Dhull, Satish Kumar Sharma and Sanjay Kahira, Chapter “Productivity management", contributed in book titled "Case Studies in Management", MJP Publishers, Chennai. ISBN 978-81-8094-098-9. pp-275-291., 2011.
- Praveen Kumar, Satish Kumar Sharma, Ratnesh Kumar Raj Singh, A review on types, manufacturing methods and application of FGM, Second International Conference on “Technological Innovations in Mechanical Engineering (TIME-2022)” 9th-10th February 2022, Sharda University, Greater Noida.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, ‘Thermo-mechanical simulation study of HAZ in multipass submerged arc welding of HSLA steel’, in proceeding of International Conference on Advances in Materials & Processing: Challenges & Opportunities (AMPCO-2017), 30th Nov – 02nd Dec 2017, IIT Roorkee, India.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “Ductile to Brittle Transition Behavior of Micro-alloyed Pipeline Steel", in proceedings of 25th International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials (PFAM-XXV), January 22-25, 2017, held at University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “Effects of process parameters on arc characteristics of submerged arc welding", in proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Production and Industrial Engineering (ICAPIE-2016), 9-10 December, 2016, DTU-Delhi, India. (ISBN: 978-93-85909-51-1), Page: 265-269.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “Hydrogen embrittlement in welded strucutres of high strength pipeline steels", communicated in IVth International Conference on Production & Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2016), 19-21 December, 2016, NIT-Jalandhar, Punjab, India. (ISBN: 978-93-5267-403-9).
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “A review on thermo-mechanical simulation studies for welding of high strength micro-alloyed pipeline steels", in Proceedings of 4th international conference Simulation & Processing of Steels (Simpro’16), February 10-12, 2016, SAIL Ranchi, India. (ISBN: 978-93-85919-86-2), Page: 540-551.
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, Aditya Kumar, “Metal Transfer Investigation for Submerged Arc Welding of HSLA Steel”, in proceedings of NationalConference on Product Design and Manufacturing (NCPDM), MNNIT Allahabad, 21-22 Nov. 2015, BLB Journal of Science & Technology, Special issue Nov. 2015, Page: 202-207 (ISSN 0976-3074).
- Brijpal Singh, Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, “Optimization of Bead Geometry in Submerged Arc Welding using Developed Agglomerated Fluxes”,in proceedings of National Conference on Product Design and Manufacturing (NCPDM), MNNIT Allahabad, 21-22 Nov. 2015, BLB Journal of Science & Technology, Special issue Nov. 2015, Page: 123-127 (ISSN 0976-3074).
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “A review on failure of HSLA steel welds in oil and gas pipelines", in Proceedings of 23rd international conference Processing & fabrication of Advanced Materials (PFAM-XXIII), December 05-07, 2014, IIT Roorkee, India.(ISBN: 978-93-84588-18-2 (vol. 2)), Page: 1210-1215.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Bhim Singh and R.D. Gupta, “Significance of Supplier Management in Lean Implementation” in proceeding of 2nd International Conference Production & Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2010), NIT Jalandhar on 03-05 Dec 2010, (ISBN 978-81-920453-0-6), Page: 1305-1310.
Session chair (Conferences)
- Chaired the session on track “Production and Manufacturing Engineering” in Second International Conference on “Technological Innovations in Mechanical Engineering (TIME-2022)” 9th-10th February 2022, Sharda University, Greater Noida.
- Chaired the session on track “Track 4: Manufacturing Science & Engineering” in 1st International Conference on Future Trends in Materials and Mechanical Engineering (ICFTMME-2020), 06-07 November, 2020, SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Ghaziabad.
- Invited lecture on Material Development: A Blend of Science & Engineering, 28 Feb 2022, HCPG College, Varanasi
- Expert Talk on Advanced Joining Processes for Novel Materials in AICTE (ATAL) sponsored Faculty Development Programme on "Novel Materials" 23-27 August 2021 at SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Ghaziabad.
- Expert Talk on Additive Manufacturing, 8 May 2021, Panipat Institute of Engineering & Technology, Samalkha, Panipat.
- Expert Talk on Additive Manufacturing in Construction, 11th Nov 2020, Geeta Engineering College, Panipat
- Expert Talk on Additive Manufacturing, 29th September 2020, Women Institute of Technology, Dehradun.
- Expert Talk on Advance learning & practice in Manufacturing and Design, 8th November 2019, Women Institute of Technology, Dehradun.
- Expert Talk on Recent trends in Manufacturing and Design, 18th April 2019, Women Institute of Technology, Dehradun.
- Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Transactions of the ASME
- Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (Springer)
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer (Elsevier)
- Advances in Mechanical Engineering (Sage)
- Transactions of Tianjin University (Springer)
- Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series C (Springer)
- Grey Systems: Theory and Application (Emerald Insight)
- Thermal Science
- The Open Petroleum Engineering Journal
- Journal of Science: Advanced Materials and Devices (Elsevier)
- Journal of Central South University (Springer)
- Mechanical Engineering for Society and Industry
- 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (Mary Ann Liebert Inc.)
- Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (Springer)
- Materials Today Proceedings (Elsevier)
Workshop, Summer School & FDP Conducted
- One week short term course on "Design of experiments & Advanced Optimization Techniques (DEAOT-2017)" at PIET Samalkha, Panipat from 10-14 July 2017.
- Two days engine overhauling workshop “STROKE-2K17” at PIET Samalkha, Panipat from 30-31March 2017.
Workshop, Summer School & FDP Attended
- Two AICTE/TEQIP/Govt of India sponsored FDP/workshop/summer school of duration two weeks.
- Ten AICTE/TEQIP sponsored FDP/workshop/summer schools of duration one week.
- Member of departmental timetable committee for last three years.
- Worked as a member in various committees made for data preparation for NBA, NAAC, ABET visits.
- Co-incharge of sand testing lab and advanced measurement lab.
- Apart from subject teaching, remained the part of academic evaluation work such as project semester, capstone project, M. Tech. seminar, Ph.D. students IRB etc.
Awards and Honours
- Sponsorship to visit University of Auckland, New Zealand to present research paper in
- Teaching-cum-Research Fellowship (TRF) 2013-2017 at Netaji Subhas Institute of
- Technology (NSIT), New Delhi, India.
- Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE-2013)
- Excellence Award: PIET management appreciated me for my services given in department of Mechanical Engineering
- Appreciation letters: From HOD-MED and Director PIET for successfully conducting
SAEINDIA Engine Overhauling workshop and DEAOT-17 one week STC.
Message to Students & Community
- Learning comes through participation.
- Start doing the small things, one day you will find yourself doing the impossible.