Computational Fluid Dynamics,Heat Transfer, Solidification, Numerical Simulation in Manufacturing processes
Dr. R.K Shukla is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at TIET Patiala since 2018. Dr. Shukla received his Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from UIET CSJM University Kanpur, Master's degree from IIT Delhi and Ph.D. from IIT Kanpur . His research work includes the interdisciplinary area of fluid, thermal and manufacturing science
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering , Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK)
- M. Tech., Applied Mechanics ( Design Engineering) Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD)
- B.Tech., Mechanical Engineering, University Institute of Engineering &Technology (UIET), CSJM University Kanpur li>
- October 2018 to till date: Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, TIET Patiala.
- July 2018 to October 2018 : Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, TIET Patiala.
- January 2018 to June 2018: Sr. Student Research Associate, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- July 2007 to July 2009: Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, KIT Kanpur.
- Heat Transfer
- Refrigeration & Air conditioning
- Fluid Mechanics
- Casting and Solidification
- Solid Mechanics
- Multiphase Simulation (solid-liquid phase change)
- Melting/ Solidification Processing
- Surface Coating
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Heat Transfer in Porous Media
- Heat Transfer in Manufacturing processes
- A computational study on air entrapment and its effect on convective heat transfer during droplet impact on a substrate. Rajesh Kumar, Rajesh K. Shukla, Alok Kumar and Arvind Kumar. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 153(106363):1-11, 2020.
- Numerical study of pore formation in thermal spray coating process by investigating dynamics of air entrapment. Rajesh K. Shukla, Alok Kumar, Rajesh Kumar, Digvijay Singh and Arvind Kumar. Surface & Coatings Technology, 378(124972):1-16, 2019
- R.K. Shukla, V. Patel, A. Kumar, Modelling of rapid solidification with undercooling effect during molten droplet flattening on a substrate in surface coating formation. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Volume 27, Issue 3, pp 269-287, 2018.
- R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, Substrate melting and re-solidification during impact of high melting point droplet material on a substrate. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, Volume 24, Issue 8, pp 1368-1376, 2015.
- R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, Formation of coating layers in low and high velocity molten hollow particles impact in thermal spray coating deposition process. International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, Vol. 27, No. 1/2/3, 2013.
Chapters in International Books
- R.K. Shukla, S.K. Yadav, M.H. Shete, A. Kumar, Chapter 16, Numerical modeling of impact and solidiﬁcation of a molten alloy droplet on a substrate, Advances in Material Forming and Joining, R. Ganesh Narayanan, Uday Shanker Dixit (Eds.), p. 307-322, Springer, 2015.
- Surendra Kumar, R. K. Shukla and Sayan Sadhu. Effect of Viscosity on Air Entrapment and Spreading of Molten Droplet in Thermal Spray Coating Deposition, 9th International and 49th National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP)December 14-16, 2022, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee-247667, Uttarakhand, India.
- R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, A. Kumar, Modelling air entrapment dynamics during impact of a high speed metal droplet onto a solid substrate, Fifth International Conference on Computational methods for thermal problems ThermaComp2018, July 9-11, 2018, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- D. Singh, R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, Dynamics of entrapped air bubble during impact of high-velocity molten droplet on a solid substrate, Proceedings of the 24th National and 2nd International ISHMT-ASTFE Heat and Mass Transfer Conference (IHMTC-2017), December 27-30, 2017, BITS Pilani, Hyderabad, India.
- R.K. Shukla, V. Patel, A. Kumar, Modelling of rapid solidification during surface coating formation on a substrate by impacting molten droplet, 6th International and 43rd National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP 2016), December 15-17, 2016, MNNIT Allahabad.
- R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, Numerical modelling of substrate melting during impact of molten particles on a substrate in a thermal spraying, 5th International and 41st National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP 2014), December 12-14, 2014, IIT Kanpur.
- R.K. Shukla, S.K Yadav, M.H Shete, A. Kumar, Numerical modelling of impact and solidification of a molten alloy droplet on a substrate, 5th International & 26th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR 2014), December 12–14, 2014, IIT Guwahati.
- S.K. Yadav, R.K. Shukla, Arvind Kumar, Prediction of mould filling pattern using different numerical models and its influence on solidification, 5th International and 41st National Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power (FMFP2014), December 12-14, 2014, IIT Kanpur.
- S.K Yadav, R.K. Shukla, Arvind Kumar, A numerical study of mould filling in microcasting, 5th International & 26th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR 2014), December 12–14, 2014, IIT Guwahati.
- R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, Substrate melting and re-solidification during impact of high melting point droplet material on a substrate, 6th Asian Thermal Spray Conference (ATSC 2014), November 24-26, 2014, Hyderabad.
- S.K Yadav, R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, Numerical modelling of solid spherical particle deposition on a roughened substrate during cold spraying, 6th Asian Thermal Spray Conference (ATSC 2014), November 24-26, 2014, Hyderabad.
- R.K. Shukla, A. Kumar, 2013, Splashing mechanism during impact of continuous and hollow droplets on a substrate, Proceedings of the 22nd National and 11th International ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, December 28-31, 2013, IIT Kharagpur.
- R.K Shukla, A. Kumar, 2012, Formation of coating layers using molten particles in thermal spray deposition process, Inter. Conf. on Innovations in Design and Manufacturing (InnDeM 2012), 5-7 December 2012, PDPM IIITDM Jabalpur.
- A. Dewan, R.K. Shukla, Computation of Turbulent Convective Heat Transfer in a Hollow Circular Pin Fin Heat Exchanger, 21st National and 10th ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, IIT Madras, 2011.
M.E (Master of Engineering) Thesis Guided
1. Prashant Sharma, May 2021 - May 2022, Title: Understanding of Drag Reduction & Biofouling using Shark Skin Denticle through CFD Simulation (Main-supervisor)
2. Chirag Siddhu, May 2021 - May 2022, Title: Porous Metal Foam Integrated in Pin Fin Heat Sink for Cooling Applications - A Computational Study (Co-supervisor)
3. Sankalp Dwivedi, May 2021 - May 2022, Title: CFD Study of Erosion Behaviour of a Bended Stainless Steel Pipe for Different SiC Abrasive Particles Sizes. (Co-supervisor)
4. Surendra Kumar, May 2020 - May 2021, Title: Modelling and Simulation of Attachment and detachment of Entrapped Air-Bubble in Thermal Spray Coating Deposition Process. (Main Supervisor)
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- GATE qualified with AIR rank of 294 and 531 in the year 2009 and 2008 respectively.
- Received MHRD Fellowship during Ph.D and M.Tech.
- Awarded “Excellent Teacher Award” at KIT Kanpur in the year 2007.
Message to Students & Community
Believe in yourself