Advanced Manufacturing Processes, Micro-Machining, Ultrasonic Machining, Biomedical Machining, Additive manufacturing
Dr. Vivek Jain received his Ph.D. in 2012 from IIT Roorkee, India, M.Tech. in 2009 from Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, Ludhiana, India with first class. He graduated in 1998 from Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering, Research and Technology, Nagpur Univ., India with first class. At present, he works as Associate Professor at Mechanical Engineering Department of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. He has vast experience of 19 years of teaching and Industrial experience. His research interests include Biomedical Machining, Conventional/Non-Conventional Machining, Additive Manufacturing, Composites, Surface Engineering and not limited to that. He has published more than 60 papers in various international/national journals. He has also filed three Indian patents. He is also handling one research project funded by DST. He has supervised more than 25 master theses and 07 (02 (defended)+5 (in progress)) doctoral thesis.
- PhD in Ultrasonic Machining, IIT Roorkee
- M.Tech. in Production Engineering, GNDEC, Ludhiana
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, Rajiv Gandhi College of Engineering, Research and Technology, Chandrapur, Maharashtra
- Advanced Machining
- Biomedical Machining
- Subtractive and Additive manufacturing
Year of Funding
Title of Project
Amount of Grant (in Lakhs)
Co-Investigators (if any)
Development of Microwave Processed Cavitation Erosion Resistant Cladding
Dr. Dheeraj Gupta
Publications and other Research Outputs
Journal Papers: SCI/SCIE
- Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Deepak Agrawal, Histological evaluation of thermal damage to Osteocytes: A comparative study of conventional and ultrasonic-assisted bone grinding, Medical Engineering & Physics, Volume 90, 2021, Pages 1-8, ISSN 1350-4533, Elsevier (SCI I.F: 1.737).
- Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Deepak Agrawal, Finite element simulation and integration of CEM43 °C and Arrhenius Models for ultrasonic-assisted skull bone grinding: A thermal dose model, Medical Engineering & Physics, Volume 90, 2021, Pages 9-22, ISSN 1350-4533, Elsevier (SCI I.F: 1.737).
- Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Deepak Agrawal, Chander Prakash, Sunpreet Singh, Linda Yongling Wu, H.Y. Zheng, Grzegorz Królczyk, Marta Bogdan-Chudy, Experimental analysis of wear and multi-shape burr loading during neurosurgical bone grinding, Journal of Materials Research and Technology, Volume 12, 2021, Pages 15-28, ISSN 2238-7854, Elsevier (SCI I.F: 5.289).
- Gurmeet Singh, Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Comparative statement for diametric delamination in drilling of cortical bone with conventional and ultrasonic assisted drilling techniques, Journal of Orthopaedics, Volume 25, Pages 53-58, 2021, Elsevier (ESCI).
- Sharma, A., Jain, V. & Gupta, D. Mathematical Approach on Chipping Volume Estimation Generated During Rotary Ultrasonic Drilling for Float Glass. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., India, Sect. A Phys. Sci. (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40010-021-00732-1, Springer (SCIE I.F: 0.921).
- Guleria, T., Verma, N., Zafar, S., & Jain, V. (2020). Fabrication of Kevlar®-reinforced ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene composite through microwave-assisted compression molding for body armor applications. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 073168442095944. doi:10.1177/0731684420959449, Sage (SCI I.F. 1.987).
- Rajendra Baraiya, Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, In-situ simultaneous surface finishing using abrasive flow machining via novel fixture, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Volume 50, 2020, Pages 266-278, ISSN 1526-6125, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2019.12.051. Elsevier (SCI I.F. 4.086).
- Apoorv Jain, Gurmeet Singh, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Feasibility analysis for machining serpentine microchannels on glass using rotary ultrasonic milling, Measurement, Volume 160, 2020, 107844, ISSN 0263-2241, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2020.107844. Elsevier (SCI I.F. 3.364).
- Sharma, A., Jain, V. & Gupta, D., Effect of Pre and Post Tempering on Hole Quality of Float Glass Specimen: for Rotary Ultrasonic and Conventional Drilling, Silicon (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-020-00597-w (SCI I.F: 1.499).
- Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, In-Vivo Evaluation of Machining Forces, Torque and Bone Quality during Skull Bone Grinding, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, DOI: 10.1177/0954411920911499 (SCI I.F: 1.282).
- Babbar, A., Jain, V. and Gupta, D. (2020), Preliminary investigations of rotary ultrasonic neurosurgical bone grinding using Grey-Taguchi optimization methodology, Grey Systems: Theory and Application. https://doi.org/10.1108/GS-11-2019-0054, (ESCI I.F: 2.268).
- Agarwal, R., Jain, V., Gupta, V. et al. Effect of surface topography on pull-out strength of cortical screw after ultrasonic bone drilling: an in vitro study. J Braz. Soc. Mech. Sci. Eng. 42, 363 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-020-02449-5, (SCI I.F: 1.755).
- Jonty Mago, Sandeep Bansal, Dheeraj Gupta, Vivek Jain, Influence of microwave heating on metallurgical and mechanical properties of Ni-40Cr3C2 composite clads in the context of cavitation erosion resistance characteristics, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part C Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, doi: 10.1177/ 0954406220940348, (SCI I.F: 1.386).
- Kaushal, S., Bohra, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V. On Processing and Characterization of Cu–Mo-Based Castings Through Microwave Heating. Inter Metalcast (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40962-020-00481-8, Springer (SCI I.F: 1.347).
- Sandeep Bansal, Dheeraj Gupta, Vivek Jain, Analysis of susceptor temperature during microwave heating and characterization of Ni-30Cr3C2 clads, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part L Journal of Materials: Design and Applications, doi: 10.1177/ 1464420720914343, (SCI I.F: 2.014).
- Jonty Mago, Sandeep Bansal, Dheeraj Gupta, Vivek Jain, Cavitation erosion behavior of microwave-processed Ni–40Cr3C2 composite clads: A parametric investigation using ultrasonic apparatus, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part L Journal of Materials: Design and Applications, doi: 10.1177/1464420720961122, (SCI I.F: 2.014).
- Rajendra Baraiya, Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta In-Situ Simultaneous Surface Finishing using Abrasive Flow Machining via Novel Fixture, Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol 50, 266-278, 2019, (SCI, IF:3.462)
- Babbar A, Sharma A, Jain V, Jain AK. Rotary ultrasonic milling of C/SiC composites fabricated using chemical vapor infiltration and needling technique. Materials Research Express. 2019 Apr 24. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab1bf7 (SCIE, IF: 1.449).
- Walia A.S., Jain V, Srivastva V. Development and Performance Evaluation of Sintered Tool Tip while EDMing of Hardened Steel. Materials Research Express. 2019 Apr 24. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab1c7a (SCIE, IF: 1.449).
- A Sharma, V Jain, D Gupta, 2019, Comparative analysis of chipping mechanics of float glass during Rotary Ultrasonic Drilling and Conventional Drilling: For multi- shaped tools, Machining Science and Technology. 2019, VOL. 23, NO. 4, 547–568, Springer , (IF- 1.716).
- Atul Babbar, Akhilesh Kumar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Enhancement of Activated Tungsten Inert Gas (A-TIG) Welding using Multi-Component TiO2-SiO2-Al2O3 Hybrid Flux, Measurement, Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, Elsevier (SCI I.F: 2.791).
- Walia A.S., Jain V, Srivastva V. Impact of Copper-Titanium Carbide Tooltip on Machined Surface Integrity During Electrical Discharge Machining of EN31, Materials Research Express. 2019 Aug 13. (SCIE, IF: 1.449).
- Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Thermogenesis mitigation using ultrasonic actuation during bone grinding: a hybrid approach using CEM43°C and Arrhenius model, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering (2019) 41:401, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-019-1913-6, Springer (SCI I.F: 1.755).
- Daljeet Singh, Atul Babbar, Vivek Jain, Dheeraj Gupta, Sanjai Saxena, Vagish Dwibedi, 2019 Synthesis, characterization, and bioactivity investigation of biomimetic biodegradable PLA scaffold fabricated by fused filament fabrication process, Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering (2019) 41:121, Springer (SCI I.F: 1.755).
- Kaushal, S., Singh, D., Gupta, D., & Jain, V. (2019). Processing of Ni–WC–Cr3C2-based metal matrix composite cladding on SS-316L substrate through microwave irradiation. Journal of Composite Materials, 53(8), 1023–1032. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998318794846. (SCI, IF: 1.613).
- Satnam Singh, Praveen Singh, Dheeraj Gupta, Vivek Jain, Rohit Kumar, Sarbjeet Kaushal, Development and characterization of microwave processed cast iron joint, Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, Volume 22, Issue 2, 2019,Pages 569-577,ISSN 2215-0986,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jestch.2018.10.012, Elsevier.(SNIP: 3.219).
- Satnam Singh, Dheeraj Gupta and Vivek Jain, Microwave processing and characterization of nickel powder based metal matrix composite castings. Materials Research Express. 6(8), 2019, Apr 24. (SCIE, IF: 1.449).
- Sarbjeet Kaushal, Dilkaran Singh, Dheeraj Gupta, Vivek Jain, Wear Resistance Improvement of Austenitic 316 L Steel by Microwave-Processed Composite Clads, Journal of Tribology, Apr 2019, 141(4): 041605 (9 pages) (SCIE, IF: 1.648).
- A Sharma, V Jain, D Gupta, 2018, Characterization of Chipping and Tool wear during drilling of Float glass using rotary ultrasonic machining, Measurement, Journal of the International Measurement Confederation, Elsevier (accepted) (SCI I.F: 2.359).
- A Sharma, V Jain, D Gupta, 2018, Multi-shaped tool wear study during rotary ultrasonic drilling and conventional drilling for amorphous solid, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part E Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, doi: 10.1177/0954408918776724 (accepted) (SCI I.F: 1.448).
- Singh G, Jain V, Gupta D, Kumar P. Optimization of process parameters for improving drilling quality and machining performance of abrasive assisted drilling on AISI D2 steel. Indian journal of engineering and material science. Feb 2018. (SCI I.F: 0.794).
- singh, Gurmeet; Jain, Vivek; Gupta, Dheeraj; sharma, abhimanyu, 2018, Parametric Effect of Vibrational Drilling on Osteonecrosis and Comparative Histopathology Study with Conventional Drilling of cortical bone, . ProcIMechE Part h: J Of Engineering In Medicine. doi: 10.1177/0954411918794983, (SCI I.F: 1.317).
- Sarbjeet Kaushal, Dilkaran Singh, Dheeraj Gupta, Vivek Jain, and Hiralal Bhowmick 2018, Surface modification of SS-316L steel using microwave processed Ni/WC based composite clads. Non sci
- Sarbjeet Kaushal, Dilkaran Singh, Dheeraj Gupta, Hiralal Bhowmick and Vivek Jain, Processing of Ni20WC10Mo based composite clads on austenitic stainless steel through microwave hybrid heating, Mater. Res. Express 5 (2018) 036401
- Singh, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V., 2018. Processing of Ni-WC-8Co MMC casting through microwave melting. Mater. Manuf. Process. 1-9. (SCI I.F: 3.350).
- Singh G, Jain V, Gupta D. Multi-Objective Performance Investigations of Orthopedic Bone Drilling Using Taguchi Membership Function. ProcIMechE Part h: J Of Engineering In Medicine. 2017; 231(12): 1133-1139. (SCI I.F: 1.282).
- Singh, S., Singh, R., Gupta, D., Jain, V., 2017. Preliminary metallurgical and mechanical investigations of microwave processed hastelloy joints, J. Manuf. Sci. Eng. , 139, 1–5. (SCI, IF: 2.616).
- Kaushal, S., Singh, B., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H., & Jain, V. (2017). An approach for developing nickel–alumina powder-based metal matrix composite cladding on SS-304 substrate through microwave heating. Journal of Composite Materials, 52(16), 2131–2138. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998317740732. (SCI, IF:1.972).
- Singh G, Ghai A, Jain V, Gupta D. Optimization Of Process Parameters For Drilled Hole Quality Characteristics During Cortical Bone Drilling Using Taguchi Method. Journal of the mechanical behaviour of biomedical materials. 2016; 62: 355-365 (SCI I.F.: 3.372)
- Singh G, Ghai A, jain V, Gupta D, Investigation on thermal necrosis during bone drilling. Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials. 2016; 18(4): 341-349.
- Singh, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V., 2016. Novel microwave composite casting process: Theory, feasibility and characterization. Mater. Des. 111, 51–59.(SCI I.F: 5.77).
- Singh, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V., 2016. Microwave melting and processing of metal-ceramic composite castings. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B J. Eng.Manuf. 1-9(SCI I.F: 1.982).
43. Singh G, Jain V, Gupta D. Comparative Study for Surface Topography of Bone Drilling Using Conventional Drilling and Loose Abrasive Machining. Proc IMechE Part h: J Of Engineering In Medicine. 2015; 229(3):225-231. (SCI I.F: 1.282)
44. Singh, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V., 2015. Recent applications of microwaves inmaterials joining and surface coatings. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part B J. Eng.Manuf. 230; 603-617. (SCI I.F: 1.982)
45. Singh, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V. and Sharma, A.K., 2015. Microwave processing ofmaterials and applications in manufacturing industries: A review. Mater.Manuf. Process. 30(1); 1-29. (SCI I.F: 3.350)
46. Singh, S., Pathania, A., Singh, S., Gupta, D., Jain, V., 2015 Development and analysis of tribological behavior of microwave processed EWAC + 20% WC10Co2Ni composite cladding on mild steel substrate. J. Manuf. Process. 20(1); 79-87. (SCI, IF:4.086)
ME Thesis Guided
25 (Twenty five)
Expert Lectures and Panel Discussion
- Expert Lecture on "Ultrasonic Machining Approach to Fabrication of Microchannels on Glass and Silicon Wafers" in AICTE sponsored one day workshop on Ultrasonic Machining approach to Fabrication of Microchannels (13th March 2013) at IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
- Expert Lecture on "Micromachining" at Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Sadopur, Ambala, India.
- Expert Lecture on "Micro Ultrasonic Machining " in TEQIP –II sponsored Faculty Development Program on Precision Manufacturing: Technology for Better Tomorrow (14th -18th July 2014) at Delhi Technological University, Delhi, India.
- Expert Lecture on "Loose Abrasive Machining Approach to Fabrication of Microchannels on Brittle Materials" in FDP entitled Micro/Nano Material Removal And Additive Technologies in Advanced Manufacturing (28th July to 1st August 2014) at Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, Ludhiana, India.
- Invited for Panel Discussion/Brain storming on “Orthopedic devices for Current and Future Needs” at IIT Delhi, 31st October 2014, India.
- Expert Lecture on "DOE approach for Loose Abrasive Machining to Fabrication of Microchannels on Brittle Materials" in STC on DOE and its Applications in Research (12-16 January 2015) at department of Production Engineering, Punjab Engineering College (PEC), Chandigarh, India.
- Expert Lecture at One week Short Term Course (STC) on "Design of Experiments and Advanced Optimization Techniques” (DEAOT-2017) during 10-14 July 2017 at Panipat Institute of Engineering and Technology, Panipat, India.
- Expert Lecture on “Biomedical Machining” at One Week STC on Advances in Machining Processes (AIMP 2018) during March 26-31, 2018 at National Institute of Technology (NIT) Kurukshetra, India.
- Expert lecture on “A Big Picture of Micro-Machining” at DAV University, Jalandhar, India on November 1st, 2018.
- Expert lecture on “Opportunities in manufacturing” at at TEQIP-III sponsored STC on Advances and Challenges in Material and Manufacturing (ACMM-2019) during November 4-8, 2019 at BIET Jhansi, India.
- Expert Lecture on “Experimentation for Process Improvement” at TEQIP-III sponsored five-days Short Term Course on “Effective research proposal and paper writing (ERPPW-19)” during 20th to 24th December, 2019 at NIT Jalandhar, India.
- “Ultrasonic Micro-Machining” at AICTE AQIS sponsored online Six Days Short Term Training Programme (STTP) on Eclectic Research Trends in Manufacturing (05–10 October, 2020), Poornima College of Engineering, Jaipur India.
- Expert Lecture on “Biomedical Machining” at 6-day Online Faculty Development Programme on 'Emerging Trends in Mechanical Engineering" (ETiME-2021) from 12-17 April, 2021, Maharishi Markandeshwar (Deemed to be University), Mullana, Haryana
- Journal of Energy Resources Technology ( Associate Editor, Special Issue on AI Techniques for Integrated Energy Systems), Publisher: ASME
- Wear, Publisher: Elsevier (Reviewer)
- Journal of Materials Characterization, Publisher: Elsevier (Reviewer)
- Journal of Tribology Publisher: SAGE (Reviewer)
- Materials Research Expresses Publisher: IOP (Reviewer)