Dr. Hiralal Bhowmick
Tribology, Materials and Design
Tribology, Materials and Design
Dr. Hiralal Bhowmick is currently an Associate Professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (Deemed-to-be University), Patiala. He has a total 11 years of research, teaching and industrial experience. He had joined this institute in the year 2013 as an Assistant Professor. Prior to this, he had worked as a Research Associate in IISc, Bangalore and as Assistant/Associate Project Engineer in the Mechanical Engineering Department of IIT Guwahati. He has published 23 SCI/SCIE papers. He has supervised 2 PhD thesis and 11 Master thesis. He is also an active reviewer of some of the internationally reputed SCI/SCIE journals published by Elsevier, Sage, Taylor & Francis, IOP and Wiley. His research interests include Tribology of micro/nanolubricants and micro/nano-composites, Development and characterization of metal matrix composites and microwave processed clads, Tribological design of machine elements and analysis of multi-scale tribological phenomena.
• Ph.D. (Tribology), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
• M.Tech., Dibrugarh University, Assam
• B.E., Jorhat Engineering College, Assam.
• Associate Professor, MED, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala (August 2019-Till date)
• Assistant Professor, MED, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala (July 2013-July 2019)
• Research Associate, IISc Bangalore (1 year)
• Assistant/Associate Project Engineer, IIT Guwahati (2.5 years)
• Industrial experience (1 year)
• Machine Design I&II
• Solid Mechanics
• Mechanics of Deformable Bodies
• Dynamics of Machinery
• Machine Tool Design
• Study of Multi-scale Tribological phenomena
• Development of Nano/Microlubricants
• Mechanical and Tribological Behaviour of Composites and Clads
• Microwave Material Processing
• Tribological Design of Machine Elements
• Project: Completed a project of Rs. 5.00 lakhs, sponsored by TIET, Patiala.
• Publications: 23(SCI), 10(Scopus/Non-SCI)
• PhD Thesis Supervision: 02 (submitted/completed), 02(on-going)
• ME Thesis Supervision: 11
Recent SCI publications:
• H Singh, H Bhowmick. "Lubrication characteristics and wear mechanism mapping for hybrid aluminium metal matrix composite sliding under surfactant functionalized MWCNT-oil." Tribology International 145 (2020): 106152.
• R Kumar, H Bhowmick, and D Gupta. "Metallurgical and wear study of MWCNT-reinforced h-AMMC fabricated through microwave hybrid sintering." International Journal of Materials Research (2020). https://doi.org/10.3139/146.111884
• H Singh, H Bhowmick. "Lubricated tribology of hybrid AMMC–steel sliding contact: A comparative investigation between fully formulated commercial engine oils and surfactant functionalized MWCNT–base oil formulation." Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology (2020): 1350650119901221.
• S Kaushal, D Gupta, H Bhowmick. “On processing and flexural behaviour of functionally graded clads developed through microwave irradiation”. Materials Research Express (2019) 6 (7), 076405.
• H Singh, H Bhowmick. “Tribological behaviour of hybrid AMMC sliding against steel and cast iron under MWCNT-Oil lubrication”. Tribology International, 127 (2018), 509-519.
• H Singh, P Singh, and H Bhowmick. "Influence of MoS2, H3BO3, and MWCNT Additives on the Dry and Lubricated Sliding Tribology of AMMC–Steel Contacts." ASME Journal of Tribology, 140.4 (2018): 041801.
• S Kaushal, D Gupta, H Bhowmick. “On Development and Wear Behavior of Microwave-Processed Functionally Graded Ni-SiC Clads on SS-304 Substrate.” J. of Materi Eng and Perform, (2018) 27: 777-786.
• S Kaushal, D Gupta, H Bhowmick. “On processing of Ni-Cr3C2 based functionally graded clads through microwave heating”. Materials Research Express, 5, (2018), 066405
• S Kaushal, D Gupta, & H Bhowmick. On surface modification of austenitic stainless steel using microwave processed Ni/Cr3C2 composite cladding. Surface Engineering, (2018), 34 (11), 809-817.
• S Kaushal, D Gupta, and H Bhowmick. "On processing of Ni-WC based functionally graded composite clads through microwave heating." Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 33.8 (2018): 822-828.
• S Kaushal, D Gupta, and H Bhowmick. Investigation of Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Ni–SiC Microwave Cladding. ASME. J. Tribol. (2017);139(4):041603-041603-9.
Recent SCOPUS indexed journals/conference publications:
• Kaushal, S., Gupta, D., & Bhowmick, H. (2020). Development of microwave processed Ni+ 20% SiC based composite clads on AISI-304 steel. In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering (Vol. 715, No. 1, p. 012001). IOP Publishing.
• Singh, H., & Bhowmick, H. (2019). Influence of Nanoclay on the Thermophysical Properties and Lubricity Characteristics of Mineral Oil. Materials Today: Proceedings, 18, 1058-1066.
• Singh, D., Kaushal, S., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H. L., & Jain, V. (2019). On Processing of Ni–WC8Co-based Composite Clads on Austenitic Stainless Steel Through Microwave Energy. In Advances in Manufacturing Processes (pp. 153-162). Springer, Singapore.
• Kaushal, S., Singh, D., Gupta, D., & Bhowmick, H. (2018). On the development and characterization of microwave processed Ni+ 30% SiC based composite clads. Materials Today: Proceedings, 5(14), 27718-27725.
• Tribology International (Elsevier)
• Tribology Transactions (Taylor & Francis)
• Lubrication Science (Wiley)
• Production and Manufacturing research (Taylor and Francis)
• Proceed. IMECHE Part B,C (Sage, UK)
• Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance (ASM)
• Materials Research Express (IOP)
• Journal of Nanomaterials (Hindawi)
• Reviewer recognitions from Tribology International, Lubrication Science
• Session Chair, Indiatrib2019, IISc Bangalore
• IISc Research Associate fellowship
• Invited Research Scholar to ETH, Switzerland
• MHRD scholarship during PhD
• Ranked 1st in the batch of BE and 2nd in the batch of MTech
• Merit scholarships in Xth, BE and MTech.
• Life Member of Tribology Society of India (TSI)
• Member of SAE India
• Member-Secretary, Departmental Policy and Planning Committee (DPPC)-2017/18
• Faculty Advisor of Team Fateh, Gathi, Ultron, Roadrunners, & Grenadiers (2014/15/16)
• Coordinated and Co-coordinated Capstone projects (2016/17-2019/20)
• Member, NBA core committee, MED (2019-till date)
• Lab In-charge, (Surface Engg. & Tribology Research lab, Solid Mechanics Lab)
• Member, Curriculum Review Committee, UG Mechanical (2019)
You aren't defined by your failures, you're empowered by them. There's nothing you can't do if you really want to.
Office: H-Block, #H202
Mechanical Engineering Department
Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology
Patiala, Punjab-147004, India