General Noise and vibration, Flow induced vibration, Aeroacoustics, Aeroelasticity
Ashish Purohit is assistant professor in Mechanical Engineering Department at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, India. He received his PhD from Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, in 2016, Master degree in Machine Design from the Department of mechanical engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (2006-2008) and Bachelors from Govt. Engineering College, Ujjain (1997-2001), India. Prior to joining Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Dr. Ashish has worked in Engineering Research Center (ERC) of Tata Motors Ltd. (2008-2010), India and also as a Scientist at Vikram Sarabhai Space center, Indian space research organization (ISRO), India.
Dr. Ashish works in a general area of mechanical vibration, flow induced vibration and general acoustics with the focus of effect of flow variation on the level of vibration and corresponding acoustic generation. He is also working in the field of architectural acoustic, acoustical designing of rooms, lecture hall, auditorium etc. Recently, he bagged a funding of 24 lacs from the Government of India to enhance performance of piezoelectric energy harvester using flow induced vibration at normal ambient condition. Previously he was also associated in two studies as Aeroacoustic study of a flexible structure in flow, reducing the vibration level of a war ship structure by designing a tuned mass damper (passive vibration absorber) an assignment of Ministry of defence (DRDO), Govt. of India.
Currently, his work of interest is as followed:
- Understanding the acoustic signature of healthy and blocked or ill heart, development of a cheap and effective solution to monitor human health using acoustic and vibration characteristics.
- Development of Façade cleaner for mid rise building
- Development of low cost accelerometer to monitor dynamics of a moving vehicle
- Development of a Tunable Muffler (Silencer)
Publications in peer reviewed Journal:
- A Purohit, A.K. Darpe, S.P. Singh, “Experimental investigations on flow induced vibration of an externally excited flexible plate”, Journal of Sound and Vibration (2016) 371, 237-251
- A Purohit, A.K. Darpe, S.P. Singh “Influence of flow velocity and flexural rigidity on the flow induced vibration and acoustic characteristics of a flexible plate” Journal of Vibration and Control,(2017) 1077546316685227
- A Purohit, A.K. Darpe, S.P. Singh, "A study on aerodynamic sound from an externally excited flexible structure in flow".Computers & Fluids 103 (2014) 100–115.
- A Purohit, A.K. Darpe, S.P. Singh, "A numerical investigation on effects of structural flexibility on aerodynamic far field sound", Computers & Fluids, 89 (2014) 143-152
- Ankit Agarwal, Ashish Purohit, “ Study of vibration modes and strain distribution of a flow energy harvester in the wake region of different bluff bodies” Proc IMechE Part C: J Mechanical Engineering Science, DOI:10.1177/0954406221996737 (2021)
- Lalit K. Sharma, Neeraj Grover Ashish Purohit Rosalin Sahoo, “A non-polynomial axiomatic framework for modelling and bending analysis of doubly curved spherical and cylindrical shells: An analytical solution” IMechE Part L: Journal of Materials: Design and Applications, (Accepted)
- Mehta S, Purohit A. “Experimental and numerical study of reverberation time of an enclosed room”, ISME Journal of Mechanics and Design Vol. 02, No 02, 2018, PP. 43-57
- Purohit A, Darpe A K, Singh S P,”Study of flow-induced vibration and sound of a flexible structure, vol. 2-8(1378), The 22nd International congress on Sound and Vibration, Florence, Italy 12-16 July 2015 (ICSV 22).
- Purohit A, Darpe A K, Singh S P, "Effects of structural flexibility on aero-dynamic sound generation, ACOUSTIS 2013 NEW DELHI, New Delhi, India, November 10-15, 2013.
- Ravneet Singh, A Purohit, “Dynamics of Piezoelectric Cantilevered Beam at higher bending mode for wind Energy Harvesting”. Symposium and Workshop for Analytical Youth in Applied Mechanics (SWAYAM) 2018 BITS Pilani, K. K. Birla Goa Campus, 4th– 6th July, 2018
- Amanpreet Singh, A Purohit, “Numerical Study of Acoustics Flow in an Expansion Chamber”. Symposium and Workshop for Analytical Youth in Applied Mechanics (SWAYAM) 2018 BITS Pilani, K. K. Birla Goa Campus, 4th– 6th July, 2018
Description of Research Interests
General Acoustics, Aeroacoustics/Hydroacoustics, Architectural acoustics, Flow induced noise and vibration of flexible structure in flow, Flow vibration energy harvesting, Vibration isolation, active vibration control, Rotor dynamics