Thermal Spray Coatings
Dr. Deepa Mudgal is currently working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab, India. She did her B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from SCRIET, CCSU, meerut in the year 2003-2007 and M.Tech (Mechanical Engineering) from ITM Gurgaon, MDU Rohtak in the year 2007-2009. She received her PhD degree from India Institute of Technology Roorkee, in the year 2015.
Before joining Thapar Univeristy, she also worked as Assistant Professor at Amity University Uttar Pradesh from March 2015-July 2016.
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
Life member of Indian Society of Technical Education
Publications and other Research Outputs
- Sharma, Shrutika, Vishal Gupta, and Deepa Mudgal. "Parametric experimental investigation of additive manufacturing-based distal ulna bone plate: a response surface methodology-based design approach." Rapid Prototyping Journal ahead-of-print (2023).
- Sharma, Shrutika, Deepa Mudgal, and Vishal Gupta. "Three point bending and tensile properties of bio‐additive polydopamine‐coated 3D printing‐based distal ulna small locking bone plates: Future need of orthopedic implants." Journal of Vinyl and Additive Technology.
- Kumar, Rajesh, Satish Kumar, and Deepa Mudgal. "Deposition of Al2O3/Cr2O3 Ceramics HVOF sprayed coatings for protection against Silt Erosion." Surface Review and Letters (2022).
- Sharma, Shrutika, Vishal Gupta, and Deepa Mudgal. "Effect of infill pattern on the mechanical properties of polydopamine‐coated polylactic acid orthopedic bone plates developed by fused filament fabrication." Polymer Engineering & Science (2022).
- Sharma, Shrutika, Deepa Mudgal, and Vishal Gupta. "Polydopamine coating on additive manufacturing‐based poly lactic acid structures with controllable parameters for enhanced mechanical properties: An experimental investigation." Polymer Engineering & Science 62, no. 11 (2022): 3523-3542.
- Sharma, Shrutika, Vishal Gupta, and Deepa Mudgal. "Current trends, applications, and challenges of coatings on additive manufacturing based biopolymers: A state of art review." Polymer Composites 43, no. 10 (2022): 6749-6781.
- Kumar, Rajesh, Satish Kumar, and Deepa Mudgal. "Silt erosion performance of high velocity oxy fuel-(HVOF) sprayed Al2O3–Cr2O3 composite coatings on turbine steel." Industrial Lubrication and Tribology (2022).
- Kumar, Manoj, Deepa Mudgal, and Lalit Ahuja. "Hot corrosion performance of bare and coated T91 steel under actual and simulated bio-fuel fired boiler environment." Indian Journal of Engineering and Materials Sciences (IJEMS) 29, no. 2 (2022): 218-227.
- Sharma, Shrutika, Mayank Sharma, Deepa Mudgal, and Hiralal Bhowmick. "Adoption of strategies for clean combustion of biomass in boilers." Corrosion Reviews 39, no. 5 (2021): 387-408.
- Saroop, Virat, Deepa Mudgal, Sanjeet Kumar, and Satya Prakash. "Evaluation of corrosion mechanism for tungsten carbide coating exposed in actual boiler environment." Engineering Failure Analysis 118 (2020): 104905.
- Gada, Hannan, Deepa Mudgal, Saad Parvez, and Babar Ahmad. "Investigation of high temperature corrosion resistance of Ni25Cr coated and bare 347H SS in actual husk fired boiler atmosphere." Engineering Failure Analysis 108 (2020): 104256.
- Ahuja, L., Mudgal, D., Singh, S., & Prakash, S. (2018). A comparative study to evaluate the corrosion performance of Zr incorporated Cr3C2-(NiCr) coating at 900 C. Ceramics International, 44(6), 6479-6492.
- Mudgal, Deepa, Lalit Ahuja, Surendra Singh, and Satya Prakash. "Corrosion behaviour of Cr 3 C 2-NiCr coated superalloys under actual medical waste incinerator." Surface and Coatings Technology, Volume 325, (2017):145-156 (Elsevier).
- Mudgal, Deepa, Lalit Ahuja, Surendra Singh, and Satya Prakash. "Evaluation of corrosion performance of Superni 600 hung in secondary chamber of medical waste incinerator operating at 1050° C." Materials at High Temperatures 34, no. 1 (2017): 45-52 (Taylor & Francis).
- Mudgal, Deepa, Lalit Ahuja, Divya Bhatia, Surendra Singh, and Satya Prakash. "High temperature corrosion behaviour of superalloys under actual waste incinerator environment." Engineering Failure Analysis 63 (2016): 160-171 (Elsevier).
- Deepa Mudgal, Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “Hot corrosion behaviour of some superalloys in a simulated incinerator environment at 900°C”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance,Vol 23, Issue 1, 2014, pp.238-249(Springer).
- Deepa Mudgal, Sanjeet Kumar, Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “Corrosion Behavior of Bare, Cr3C2-25%(NiCr), and Cr3C2-25%(NiCr)+0.4%CeO2- Coated Superni 600 Under Molten Salt at 900ºC”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, ASM International, Vol. 23, Issue 11, 2014, Page 3805-3818 (Springer).
- Deepa Mudgal, Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “Hot corrosion behavior of Bare, Cr3C2-(NiCr) and Cr3C2- (NiCr)+0.2wt%Zr coated SuperNi 718 at 900ËšC”, Journal of Material Engineering and performance, ASM International, Springer, January 2015, Volume 24, Issue 1, pp 1-15.
- Deepa Mudgal, Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “Evaluation of ceria added Cr3C2-25(NiCr) coating deposit on three superalloys under simulated incinerator environment”, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, February 2015, Volume 24, Issue 3, pp 496-514.
- Bhagria, Binu Kumar, Deepa Mudgal, Simranjit Singh Sidhu, and Rajan Verma. "A review paper on downtime corrosion in boilers during lockdown due to COVID-19 in India." In AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 2341, no. 1, p. 030004. AIP Publishing LLC, 2021.
- Bhagria, Binu Kumar, Deepa Mudgal, Simranjit Singh Sidhu, and Rajan Verma. "Present scenario of hot corrosion studies performed with ferritic steel." In AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 2341, no. 1, p. 040034. AIP Publishing LLC, 2021.
- Kumar, Rajesh, Satish Kumar, and Deepa Mudgal. "Performance analysis of bare SS-304 using silt of size 350-450 µm at varying speed and at particular silt concentration." In AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 2341, no. 1, p. 030037. AIP Publishing LLC, 2021.
- Ahuja, Lalit, and Deepa Mudgal. "High temperature corrosion performance of ceria doped Cr3C2-NiCr coated superalloys under actual medical waste atmosphere." Materials Today: Proceedings 28 (2020): 599-603.
- Gada, Hannan, Deepa Mudgal, and Babar Ahmad. "Experimental Evaluation of High Temperature Corrosion Performance of 75Ni25Cr Coated and Bare 347H SS in Air and Simulated Husk Fired Boiler Environment." In Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 1240, no. 1, p. 012129. IOP Publishing, 2019.
- Ahuja, Lalit, Deepa Mudgal, Surendra Singh, and Satya Prakash. "Corrosion performance of Cr3C2-NiCr+ 0.2% Zr coated super alloys under actual medical waste incinerator environment." In IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 330, no. 1, p. 012049. IOP Publishing, 2018.
- Singh, Akash, Vivek Sharma, Siddhant Mittal, Gopesh Pandey, Deepa Mudgal, and Pallav Gupta. "An overview of problems and solutions for components subjected to fireside of boilers." International Journal of Industrial Chemistry 9 (2018): 1-15.
- Mudgal, Deepa, Surendra Singh, and Satya Prakash. "Cyclic Hot Corrosion Behavior of Superni 718, Superni 600, and Superco 605 in Sulfate and Chloride Containing Environment at 900° C." Metallography, Microstructure, and Analysis, Volume 4, No. 1 (2015), pp 13-25.
- Sanjeet Kumar, Deepa Mudgal , Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “Effect of CeO2 in Cr3C2-NiCr Coating on Superni 600 at High Temperature”, Elsevier, Procedia Materials Science, Vol 6, 2014, p.939-949.
- Deepa Mudgal, PawanK.Verma, Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “High temperature degradation of Co based superalloy in incinerators environment”, Advanced Materials Research , Vol 585, 2012, pages 542-546.
- Deepa Mudgal, Surendra Singh,Satya Prakash,“High Temperature Cyclic Oxidation Behavior of Ni and Co Based Superalloys, International Journal of Minerals & Materials characterization & Engineering , Vol.11, Number.3, pp.211-219, 2011.
- D.Mudgal, S.Singh, S.Prakash, “Corrosion problems in Incinerators and Biomass fuel fired boilers”, International Journal of Corrosion, Hindawi Publications, Vol 2014 (2014), Article ID 505306, 14 pages.
- Sanjeet Kumar, Deepa Mudgal, Surendra Singh, Satya Prakash, “Cyclic oxidation behavior of Bare and Cr3C2- 25(NiCr) coated superalloy at elevated temperature”, Advanced Material Letters , VBRI Press, Vol 4. 2013.
- O.P.Gupta, Deepa Mudgal, DevendraPuri, Satya Prakash, “High temperature cyclic oxidation of Ni based superalloys at 900C in air”, published in International Journal of Advanced Scientific Research and Technology, Issue2, Vol 2, 2012.
Singh, Akash, Siddhant Mittal, Deepa Mudgal, and Pallav Gupta. "Design, development and application of nanocoatings." Nanomaterials and Their Applications (2018): 191-207.
Awards and Honours
Received Best Poster presentation award during International conference CORCON 2013, held at The Lalit , New Delhi on Sept 30-Oct 3 2013 at New Delhi, India.
Description of Research Interests
High Temperature corrosion problem in areas such as Incinerators, Bio-fuel fired boilers, Gas Turbines.
Metallurgical and corrosion behaviour of Thermal Spray Coatings