Heat Transfer, Optimization, Cooling Tower, Heat Sinks, Solar Collector, Inverse on Various Thermal Systems, Phase Change Materials
Dr. Rohit Kumar Singla is Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering Department at Thapar University, India. He is associated with the thermal group of the Department. He received his PhD degree in the area of inverse analysis of heat and mass transfer thermal systems from Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, in 2017, M. Tech. in Mechanical Engineering (Thermal) from the Mechanical Department, PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh (2009-2011) and Bachelors PTU Jalandhar (2005-2009), India. He has experience of 10 years of teaching (Pre-Ph.D. and Post-Ph.D.). His research interests include Heat Transfer, Optimization, Cooling tower, Heat Sinks, Solar Collector, Inverse on various thermal systems, Phase change materials and not limited to that. He has published in various international/national journals. He is supervising Master’s and Ph.D. students for research thesis.
- Ph.D. (IIT Ropar) in Thermal Engineering/ Indian Institute of Technology Ropar
- M.E. in Mechanical (Thermal Sciences)/PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh/ First class
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering/ SBSCET, Ferozpur/ First class (73%)
Teaching and Work Experience
- July 2017 – Present: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab
- August 2016 – July 2017: Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab
- Teaching Assistant at IIT Ropar from January 2013- July 2016
- July 2011 – December 2012: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Sharda University, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- Heat Transfer
- Cooling tower, Heat Sinks, Solar Collector
- Inverse on various thermal systems
Publications and other Research Outputs
SCI International Journal 19: International Conference Papers 09
Journal Papers: SCI/SCIE
- H. Chopra, H. Singh, M. S. Bamrah, F. Mahbubani, A. Verma, N. Hooda, PS Rana, RK Singla, AK Singh Efficient Fruit Grading System using Spectrophotometry and Machine Learning Approaches, IEEE Sensors Journal, 2021 DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2023075465. (I.F. 3.073)
- P. Kumar, R. S. Joshi, R. K. Singla, Sliding wear behaviour of CP titanium laminates produced by large strain extrusion machining, Wear, 2021 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2021.203774, (I.F. 4.108)
- M. Singhal, R.K. Singla, K. Goyal, A novel comparative approach on inverse heat transfer analysis of an experimental setup of an extended surface, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 118, 104822, 2020. (Impact Factor: 971)
- M. Singhal, S. Singh, R.K. Singla, K. Goyal, D. Jain, Experimental and computational inverse thermal analysis of transient, non-linear heat flux in circular pin fin with temperature-dependent thermal properties, Applied Thermal Engineering 168, 114721, 2019. (I.F. 725)
- M. Singhal, R.K. Singla, K. Goyal, Convective and radiative thermal analysis of composite wall with non-linear, temperature-dependent properties. Heat Transfer Research, DOI: 10.1615/HeatTransRes.2019031349, 2019. (I.F. 1.199)
- S. Singh and R.K. Singla, Experimental and numerical analysis of a nonlinear pin fin with temperature dependent properties and disparate boundary conditions, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf, 108, 104313, 2019. (Impact Factor: 3.971)
- D. Sharma, K. Goyal, R.K. Singla, A curvelet method for numerical solution of partial differential equations, Applied Numerical Mathematics 148, 28-44, 2019. (I.F. 1.979)
- D. Sharma, R.K. Singla, K. Goyal, An adaptive grid-based curvelet optimized solution for nonlinear Schrödinger equation, International Journal of Modern Physics C, 30 (12), 1-28, 2019. (I.F. 1.245)
- D. Jain, I. Kamboj, T.K. Bera, A.S. Kang, R.K. Singla, Experimental and numerical investigations on the effect of alkaline hornification on the hydrothermal ageing of agave natural fiber composites, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 130, pp. 431-439, 201 (Impact: 2.857)
- R.K. Singla, and R. Das, A differential evolution algorithm for maximizing heat dissipation in stepped fins, Neural Computing and Applications, Vol. 30 (10), pp. 3081-3093, 2018. (Impact: 1.492)
- R. Das, B. Akay, R.K. Singla and K. Singh, Application of artificial bee colony algorithm for inverse modelling of a solar collector, Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, Vol. 25(6), pp. 887-908, 2017. (Impact: 0.991)
- K. Singh, R. Das and R.K. Singla, Closed form solution for a rectangular stepped fin involving all variable thermal parameters and nonlinear boundary conditions, Proceedings of IMechE, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, (DOI: 10.1177/0954408916652438), 2016. (Impact: 1.107)
- R.K. Singla, K. Singh and R. Das, Tower characteristics correlation and parameter retrieval in wet-cooling tower with expanded wire mesh packing, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 96, pp. 240-249, 2016. (Impact: 3.043)
- R.K. Singla and R. Das, Adomian decomposition method for a stepped fin with all temperature-dependent modes of heat transfer, International Journal of Heat & Mass Transfer, Vol. 82, pp. 447-459, 2015. (Impact: 2.857)
- S. Panda, R.K. Singla, R. Das and S. Martha, Identification of design parameters in a solar collector using inverse heat transfer analysis, Energy Conversion & Management, Vol. 88, pp. 27-39, 2014. (Impact: 4.801)
- R.K. Singla and R. Das, Application of decomposition method and inverse prediction of parameters in a moving fin, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 84, pp. 268-281, 2014. (Impact: 4.801)
- A. Bhowmik, R.K. Singla, R. Das, A. Mallick and R. Repaka, Inverse modelling of a solar collector involving Fourier and non-Fourier heat conduction, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Vol. 38 (21-22), pp. 5126-5148, 2014 (Impact: 2.291)
- R.K. Singla, and R. Das, Application of Adomian decomposition method and inverse solution for a fin with variable thermal conductivity and heat generation, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 66, pp. 496-506, 2013. (Impact: 2.857)
- A. Bhowmik, R.K. Singla, P.K. Roy, D.K. Prasad, R. Das, R. Repaka, Predicting geometry of rectangular and hyperbolic fin profiles with temperature-dependent thermal properties using decomposition and evolutionary methods, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 74, pp. 535-547, 2013. (Impact: 4.801)
International Conference Papers
- S. Singh, M. Singhal and R.K. Singla, Inverse problem to retrieve heat flux and heat transfer coefficient for a solid pin fin, 25th National and 3rd International ISHMT-ASTFE Heat and Mass Transfer Conference (IHMTC-2019), IIT Roorkee, India, 2019.
- S. Singh, R.K. Singla, D. Jain, Numerical Investigations of Ellipsoid Shaped Filler on Heat Transport Behavior of Reinforced Polymer Composites, International Conference on Engineering Research and Applications, 2018, Vietnam. [Springer book chapter]
- R.K. Singla and R. Das, Multi-parameter retrieval in a porous fin using binary-coded genetic algorithm, 6th International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving (SocProS-2016), Thapar University, Patiala, India, 2016. [Springer book chapter]
- R.K. Singla and R. Das, Retrieval of controlling parameter in induced draft cooling tower using inverse method, 2nd International Conference on Control Science and Systems Engineering (ICCSSE-2016), Nanyang Executive Centre, Singapore, 2016. [IEEE]
- R.K. Singla and R. Das, Adomian decomposition method for a stepped fin space radiator with internal heat generation, 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Engineering and Computational Sciences (RAECS-2015), University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India, 2015. [IEEE]
- R. Das and R.K. Singla, Inverse heat transfer study of a nonlinear straight porous fin using hybrid optimization, ASME 2014 Gas Turbine India Conference-GTINDIA 2014 (15-17 December 2014), India Habitat Center, New Delhi, India, 2014. [ASME]
- R.K. Singla, R. Das and P.K. Roy, Application of Adomian decomposition method for a conductive, convective and radiative moving fin, 22nd National and 11th ISHMT-ASME Heat & Mass Transfer Conference, (28-31 December 2013), IIT Kharagpur, India, 2013.
- R.K. Singla, R. Das, A. Bhowmik, R. Repaka, Inverse heat transfer analysis of porous extended surface using simplex search method, Proceedings of the ASME 2013 Gas Turbine India Conference-GTINDIA 2013 (5-6 December 2013),CSIR-NAL, Bangalore, Karnataka, India, 2013. [ASME]
- R.K. Singla and R. Das, Multi-objective optimization of a cooling tower using Newton-Raphson method, National Conference on Frontiers in Aeronautical, Aerospace and Automotive Engineering, Noorul Islam University, Kanyakumari, India, 2013.
- Strength of Materials
- Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery
- Heat and mass Transfer
PhD and ME Thesis Guided
- Meenal Singhal (July, 2017- Feb, 2021 - Submitted) Thesis title: A Study on Inverse Problems of Realistic Heat Transfer Systems.
- Pushpinder Singh (Junuary, 2019 – present) Thesis Title: Experimental investigation on properties of laminates produced by Large Strain Extrusion Machining
- Akshay Bhardwaj, 2018, Heat Transfer Augmentation in a de-Super Heater of Domestic Refrigerator with Twisted Tape Turbulators. (Co-guide: Prasanth Anand Kumar Lam)
- Amandeep, 2018, Predicting the Effect of Carbon Soot Particles on the Melting Rate of Ice: Theoretical and Experimental Investigations. (Co-guide: Vikrant Kullar)
- Himanshu Gupta, 2019, CFD Analysis in Control of Urea Injection for an Automotive SCR Application. (Co-guide: Ravindra S. Deshmukh)
- Sarvjeet Singh, 2019, Parameters Retrieval of Heat Transfer systems using Inverse Optimization.
Memberships, Contributions to Societies, Journals, Councils, Commissions, Seminars, Research Visits, Industrial Visits Etc.
- Delivered an Invited Talk (March 6-7, 2020) at Workshop on Applications of computational methods at NIT, Hamirpur.
- Organized a visit to manufacturing unit of Inter Solar Dera Bassi for B.Tech students.
- Delivered an Invited Talk on "Identification of design parameters in a solar collector and prospective use of PCM in solar energy storage”, (November 16, 2017) at 2 Days National Conference on Large Solar Power Generation and adequate Technology Solution at NPTI, Nangal
- Organized Industririal tour for M.E. students to visit Hydro Power Plant Visit (Bhakra-Nangal Project)
- Visited Nanyang Executive Centre, Singapore to presnt research paper in 2nd International Conference on Control Science and Systems Engineering (ICCSSE-2016)
- Visited University Institute of Engineering and Technology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India to present research paper in 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Engineering and Computational Sciences (RAECS-2015)
- Visited IIT Kharagpur, India to present research article in 22nd National and 11th ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, 2013
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
- 10th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics 14th – 16th July 2014 Orlando, Florida, at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Hotel, USA.
- Advanced Research in Material Sciences, Manufacturing, Mechanical and Mechatronic Engineering Technology International Conference, 2nd to 4th June 2015 Bali, Indonesia, Bali, Indonesia.
- Journal of Porous Media, Begell House
- International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Elsevier
- International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Elsevier
- Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, Elsevier
- Applied Thermal Engineering, Elsevier
- International Communication of Heat and Mass Transfer, Elsevier
- Energy Conversion and Management, Elsevier
- Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, Part E, SAGE
- Time Table Coordinator at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala, Punjab, India (December, 2018 – Till Date)
- Active participation during ABET/ NAAC/NBA accreditation process (Continuing)
- Member of Ph.D. Entrance Examination committee at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala, Punjab, India (November, 2017 – December, 2017)
- President of SOMIE-Society of Mechanical and Industrial Engineers at Thapar University, Patiala, India (August, 2017 – Till date)
- Laboratory In charge of Heat Transfer at Thapar University, Patiala, India (Jan, 2017 – Jan, 2020)
Awards and Honours
- Award for exceptional teaching and research, performance incentive scheme (PIS), 2019 at TIET, Patiala.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India (MHRD) scholarship (30800 per month) in Ph.D at IIT Ropar.
- Granted travel fund from IIT Ropar to present research paper in an International Conference at NTU Singapore in 2016.
- Selected for Department of Science and Technology's International Travel Support (ITS) in 2015 for UK heat transfer conference.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India (MHRD) scholarship (8000 per month) in M.E.
- Gold medalist in Inter College YOGA CHAMPIONSHIP in 2007 & 2009 at SBSCET, Ferozepur.
- Organize many events at college level mainly “Rang De Basanti” to pay a Tribute to S. Bhagat Singh on his 100th birthday by S.F.M.E.
- Qualified GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineers) in 2009 and 2013.
Message to Students & Community
- Life is all about chances and opportunities. Never leave anything to chance and never let an opportunity get away.