Nonlinear dynamics, Vibration and control of microstructures, Solid mechanics, Structural dynamics, MEMS, Fracture Mechanics
Dr. Rajendra Kumar is an Assistant Professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, India. He is associated with the Machine Design group of the Department. Rajendra completed his post-graduation from IIT Delhi and Ph.D. from IIT Roorkee. His Ph.D. work has been focused on the enhancement of the dynamic performance of electrostatic MEMS through controlling the residual oscillations and contact bounces in the pre-pull-in and post-pull-in regions, respectively, using a feed-forward control technique. He extensively worked in the field of mechanics of MEMS and structural optimization. During the course of his Ph.D. work, he becomes very interested in dynamic system modeling and optimization of the microstructure. He has been especially intrigued by the study of the design of vibration control techniques to control robotic systems. His research interest is a broad area of applied mechanics, nonlinear vibration, and control. In particular, my interest is in dynamical system modeling, simulation, control, and optimization of engineering structures.
He is active in supervising Masters and Ph.D. students for their dissertation/thesis. The proposed component of the research is expected to serve as vital inputs to the researchers and practitioners working in the domain of dynamics and control of MEMS actuators. Therefore, in the coming future, he wants to accomplish these proposed components of research with the involvement of students. The results of the investigations will be disseminated in the form of scientific publications.
His research work is published in various peer-reviewed journals of international repute such as the Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Microsystems Technologies, Micro and Nanosystems, Composite structures, and Journal of Vibrations and Controls. There are 13 research articles and 04-conference publications relevant to the dynamics of microstructures and fracture mechanics.
- PhD in Dynamics and Vibrations, IIT Roorkee
- M. Tech. , IIT Delhi
Teaching and Work Experience
- Assistant Professor, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, India
- Assistant Professor, LPU, Phagwara, Punjab, India
- August 2009 – November 2012
- Mechanics of Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS)
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Vibrations and controls
- Fracture analysis of beams and plates
- Structural Health Monitoring
Publications and other Research Outputs
Journal Papers: SCI/SCIE
- YS Joshan, LK Sharma, N Grover, RK Godara (2021): A couple stress model in non-polynomial framework to examine structural responses of laminated composite micro-plates: An analytical solution, Composite Structures, 261, 113533 (Impact Factor: 5.407).
- A. Yadav, R.K. Godara, G. Bhardwaj, R.U. Patil, S.K. Singh, Kishore Khanna (2021): A Review on Fracture Analysis of CNT/Graphene Reinforced Composites for Structural Applications, Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering. Accepted (Impact Factor: 7.36).
- G. Bhardwaj, S.K. Singh, R.U. Patil, R.K. Godara, K. Khanna (2021): Thermo-elastic analysis of cracked functionally graded materials using XIGA. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, 114, 103016. (Impact Factor: 4.017)
- RK Godara, AK Sharma, N Joshi, MM Joglekar (2020): A novel capacitive mass sensor using an open-loop controlled microcantilever. Microsystem Technologies 26 (9), 2977-2987. (Impact Factor: 2.276)
- A. Yadav, R.U. Patil, S.K. Singh, R.K. Godara, G. Bhardwaj (2020): A thermo-mechanical fracture analysis of linear elastic materials using XIGA. Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, Pp. 1-26. (Impact Factor:3.517)
- G. Bhardwaj, R.K. Godara, K. Khanna, R.U. Patil (2020): A semi-homogenized extended isogeometric analysis approach for fracture in functionally graded materials containing discontinuities. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Pp. 0954406220905857. (Impact Factor: 1.386).
- A. Yadav, R.K. Godara, G. Bhardwaj (2020): A review on XIGA method for computational fracture mechanics applications. Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Pp. 107001. (Impact Factor: 4.406)
- A. Negi, G. Bhardwaj, J.S. Saini, K. Khanna, R.K. Godara (2019): Analysis of CNT reinforced polymer nanocomposite plate in the presence of discontinuities using XFEM. Theoretical and Applied Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 103, pp. 102292. (Impact Factor: 4.017)
- AK Sharma, RK Godara, MM Joglekar (2019): Static and DC dynamic pull-in analysis of curled microcantilevers with a compliant support. Microsystem Technologies 25 (3), 965-975. (Impact Factor: 2.276 )
- RK Godara, MM Joglekar (2018): Suppression of contact bounce in beam-type microelectromechanical switches using a feedforward control scheme. Journal of Vibration and Control 24 (23), 5502-5513. (Impact Factor: )
- RK Godara, MM Joglekar (2017): Alleviation of residual oscillations in electrostatically actuated variable-width microbeams using a feedforward control strategy. Microsystem Technologies 23 (10), 4441-4457. (Impact Factor: 2.276)
- R K Godara, M M Joglekar (2016): Mitigation of contact bounces in electrostatically actuated nonprismatic microbeams. Micro and Nanosystems 8 (2), 99-113.
- RK Godara, MM Joglekar (2015): Mitigation of residual oscillations in electrostatically actuated microbeams using a command-shaping approach. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 25 (11), 115028. (Impact Factor: 2.141)
Conference Papers: 04
Courses of Interest
- Dynamics and Vibrations
- Machine Design
- Mechanics of Deformable Bodies
- Solids and Structures
- Mechanics of Machines
- Theory of Machines
ME and Ph.D. Thesis Guided
ME - 04 (Six completed)
Ph.D. - 01 (ongoing)
- Nonlinear Dynamics
- Steel and Composite Structures-An International Journal