High-temperature oxidation, Thermomechanical processing, Materials characterization, Electron backscattered diffraction (EBSD), X-ray diffraction (XRD)
Hitesh Kumar is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala. Prior to this, he was a Research Scholar at IIT Bombay. He did his Master's (M.Tech.) from Thapar University, Patiala.
His doctoral research focuses on microstructure, alloying, and oxidation kinetics. He is an active researcher in the field of high-temperature oxidation and material characterization. During his Ph.D., he extensively used techniques like EBSD (Electron backscattered diffraction), XRD (X-ray diffraction), LRS (Laser Raman Spectroscopy), and XPS (X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy) for determining the microstructural phase(s), chemical nature, and composition of the oxide scale. He has also published 10 research papers during his Ph.D. in reputed journals like Acta Materialia and Scripta Materialia.
- PhD in Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science, IIT Bombay
- M.E. in Materials Science, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala
- B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, MMU Mullana, Ambala
Teaching and Work Experience
- Assistant Professor, Marwadi Engineering College, Rajkot Gujrat.
- High-temperature oxidation
- Texture (EBSD and XRD)
- Thermomechanical processing
- Materials characterization
Publications and other Research Outputs
SCI 10, Conference Papers 4
- H.K. Mehtani, M.I. Khan, B. Nagamani Jaya, S. Parida, M.J.N.V. Prasad, I. Samajdar, “ The oxidation behavior of iron-chromium alloys: The defining role of substrate chemistry on kinetics, microstructure and mechanical properties of the oxide scale.” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 871 (2021), 159583. DOI-https: //doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom. 2021.159583
- H.K. Mehtani, M. I. Khan, A. Durgaprasad, S. K. Deb, S. Parida, M.J.N.V. Prasad, David Fullwood, R. D. Doherty, I Samajdar. " Oxidation behavior of interstitial free steel: The defining role of substrate crystallographic texture." Acta Materialia 190 (2020): 43-57. DOI- https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2020.03.019.
- H.K. Mehtani, M. I. Khan, A. Durgaprasad, S. K. Deb, S. Parida, M. J. N. V. Prasad and I. Samajdar. " Oxidation Kinetics in Pearlite: The Defining Role of Interface Crystallography." Scripta Materialia, 152 (2018): 44-48. DOI- https://doi.org/10. 1016/j.scriptamat.2018.04.011.
- M. I. Khan, H.K. Mehtani, A. Durgaprasad, G. K. Goyal, M.J.N.V. Prasad, S. Parida, T. Dasgupta, N. Birbilis, I. Samajdar " The defining role of interface crystallography in corrosion of a two-phase pearlitic steel." Philosophical Magazine 100 (2020): 1439-1453. DOI- https://doi.org/10.1080/14786435.2020.1725247.
- M. I. Khan, Aditya Prakash, H. Mehtani, P. Raut, Namit Pai, A. Sarkar, M.J.N.V. Prasad, S. Parida, I. Samajdar, “The Defining Role of Plastic Deformation on Resistance to Aqueous Corrosion of Interstitial Free Steel” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Accepted in Press (July, 2021).
- Garima Aggarwal, Akhilender Jeet Singh, Hitesh Kumar Mehtani, KR Balasubramaniam, “Strain induced abnormal grain growth in thermally oxidized Cu2O sheets” Applied Physics Express, 14 (2021), 035503. DOI- https://doi.org/ 10.35848/1882-0786/abe164.
- Sneha Goel, Hitesh Mehtani, Shu-Wei Yao, Indradev Samajdar, Uta Klement, Shrikant Joshi, As-Built and Post-treated Microstructures of an Electron Beam Melting (EBM) Produced Nickel-Based Superalloy, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 51 (2020): 6546-6559. DOI- https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-020-06037-z
- Sushil K Giri, A Durgaprasad, H. Mehtani, S Kundu, I Samajdar, “Origin of Goss (110)〈 001〉 Grains in Hot-Worked Grain-Oriented Steel” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A , 51 (2020): 5268-5284. DOI- https://doi.org /10.1007/ s11661-020-05920-z.
- HA Deore, J Mishra, AG Rao, H. Mehtani, VD Hiwarkar, " Effect of filler material and post process ageing treatment on microstructure, mechanical properties and wear behaviour of friction stir processed AA 7075 surface composites." Surface and Coatings Technology, 374 (2019): 52-64. DOI- https: //doi.org/ 10.1016/j. surfcoat.2019. 05.048.
- L. Jain, K. V. Mani Krishna, Aditya Prasad, H. K. Mehtani, D. S. Misra, Abha Misra, and I. Samajdar, “Defining the Role of Silicon Substrate Orientation on the Polycrystalline Diamond Film: A Novel Approach for Characterizing Faceted Microstructures, Crystal Growth & Design, 17 (2017): 5366-5376. DOI-https://10.1021/acs.cgd.7b00853.
- Poster Presentation in National Conference AMRP-2013 held in SLIET longowal on the topic of “Morphological characterization of β phase in poly-(vinylidenefluoride) film” H.K. Mehtani, R Kumar, KK Raina.
- H.K. Mehtani, R Kumar, KK Raina, " Morphological characterization of β phase in poly-(vinylidenefluoride) film prepared by spin cast method" AIP Conference Proceeding, 1591 (2014): 975-976. DOI- https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4872823.
- Oral presentation in international conference ICOTOM 18 held in Utah, USA on Nov 5-10, 2017, on “Oxidation Kinetics of Steel: The defining Role of Substrate Micro-texture” H.K. Mehtani, Irshad Khan, A.Durgaprasad, S.Parida, M.J.N.V. Prasad and I.Samajdar.
- Oral presentation in conference Microstructure -2018 held in Mumbai on 27th October 2018, on “Oxidation behavior of IF steel: The Role of Crystallographic Texture of Polycrystalline Substrate” H.K. Mehtani, Irshad Khan, A.Durgaprasad, S.Parida, M.J.N.V. Prasad and I.Samajdar.
Courses of Interest
- Mechanical Engineering Materials
- Manufacturing Process (I & II)
- Engineering Materials
- Material Degradation
- Philosophical Magazine
Awards and Honour
- Awarded “Gold Medal” for outstanding coordination in NSS, MMU Mullana.
- Recipient of “Letter of Appreciation” from Principal MMU Mullana for outstanding contribution in organizing university fest in 2012.
- Received partial financial assistance through ICOTOM committee to attend 18th International Conference on Textures of Materials, November 5-10, 2017, Utah USA.